EVENT: European Day of Languages 2015
Remember when we joined forces to celebrate the European Day of Languages with our French colleagues at the Alliance Française d’Atlanta last year, well, we’re doing it again this year!
This year, the day will be based on the theme, “Advancing your Career through World Languages” and we’d love you to get involved!
No matter whether you are an adult professional or a high school student studying a foreign language – in particular French or German – and want to add something spectacular to your résumé, we’d love you to join us to celebrate languages and language/cultural leaning under the theme “Advancing Your Career Through World Languages”. This year, we will focus on how adding a second or third language to your résumé can really boost your career prospects.
The evening will be split into three major areas:
- The keynote address with guest speaker, Mr. John Woodward, Senior Director, Foreign Investment at the Metro Atlanta Chamber who will discuss the importance of world languages in the business sector, focusing on intercultural relations and how having a knowledge of other cultures can help in your career
- The panel discussion & Q&A will involve local business and academic leaders discussing the importance and benefits within the business sector to be linguistically and culturally literate, and respond to the audience’s questions and comments. Panelists include:
- Mr John Woodward, Senior Director, Foreign Investment, Metro Atlanta Chamber
- Mr. James Blair, Managing Consultant, Navigator Consulting
- Dr. William Nichols, Department Chair World Languages and Culture, Georgia State University
- Ms. Marcia Spielberger, Consultant World Languages
- The competition will acknowledge and honor high school students who have created and submitted a 4 minute video focusing on the role world languages will have in their futures. High school students will video a mock interview on this subject, with middle school students recording a conversation about their dream job and the role world languages will have in that job. For more information on the competition and rules click here.
This is an excellent opportunity for all guests to broaden their horizons when it comes to learning a new language and the benefits it can have. You’ll get the chance to mingle and network with some of Atlanta’s international business and educational leaders, giving you the opportunity to forge some relationships that could contribute to a bright future in the business world. For students, getting involved may also give your résumé a big boost by showing your commitment to the language and culture you are learning.
Here’s what you need to know:
When: Thursday, September 24, 2015
Time: 6:30 – 8:30pm
Where: Goethe-Zentrum Atanta/Alliance Française d’Atlanta
Admission: Complimentary, RSVP is essential and works on a first-come-first-served basis.
We look forward to seeing you there!
Don’t forget, you can keep up with everything that’s going on here at the Goethe-Zentrum Atlanta by following us on social media:
Posted on September 17, 2015, in What's Going On? and tagged Atlanta, EDL 2015, European Day of Languages, German, Germany, Goethe, Goethe-Zentrum Atlanta, Learn German, Take German, World Languages. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.