EVENT: Atlanta Christkindl Market
Guys, the holiday’s are just around the corner and this weekend and into next week we’re getting festive at the Atlanta Christkindl Market!
That’s right, starting this Friday, we’ll have a booth at the Atlanta Christkindl Market at Atlantic Station! Embrace the holiday season with a trip to this German tradition and come say hello at the same time! Now if you’re not sure what a Christkindl Market is, here’s a quick rundown:
- it’s a street market to celebrate Christmas held during the 4 weeks of advent
- these markets originated in Germany, Austria, South Tyrol in Northern Italy and the eastern French regions of Alsace, Lorraine and Savoy.
- they’re made up of several little stalls in wooden booths selling everything from traditional Christmas gifts to food and drink
- typical snacks at a German Weihnachtsmarkt include bratwurst, lebkuchen, Gebrannte Mandeln (candied, toasted almonds), kartoffelpuffer (fried potatoes), and baked goods like pretzels and brotchen.
- the most popular drink at a Christmas market is Glühwein (hot mulled wine), others include Eierpunsch (an egg-based warm alcoholic drink) and Apfelwein (apple wine.)
And guess what, this year there is one right here in Atlanta! It’s the first year the city has had a Christkindl Market and hopefully it will be the first of many! The market opened last weekend and will run through to December 24, 2016. It was the job of the original Christkind from Nuremberg to open the ceremony, here she is pictured with Christina Plewinski from the International Office of the City of Nuremberg and our Executive Director, Miriam Bruns:
Ready to get a little festive? Here’s what you need to do to feel a little German this Christmas and get in on the action:
When: Friday, December 9, 2016 – Thursday, December 15, 2016 (the market is already open and will run until December 24 – these are the dates of the Goethe-Zentrum Atlanta booth!)
Where: Atlantic Station, Atlanta, GA
Time: Open daily from 11:00am – 10:00pm (8:00pm on Sunday)
So, head on down to Atlantic Station this weekend and get into the festive spirit! Grab a bratwurst and a Glühwein and browse the various stalls for Christmas presents – don’t forget to stop by our booth to say hello!
Don’t forget, you can keep up with everything that’s going on here at the Goethe-Zentrum Atlanta by following us on social media: